Monday, March 2, 2009

A Day in the Life

It's been a while for me since I've been able to sit down at the computer and form complete sentences. Just a lot of busy-ness that keeps you going, but you can't remember exactly why you were so busy all day or what you've really accomplished.

So, my boys have a favorite Hot Wheels car they like to play with. Actually, it's Clark's favorite and therefore Bruce's favorite. The "Grand National." Called by name and arguably the most disputed-over Hot Wheels car in the lower 48 states, or at least in our apartment. I'm always surprised that this is the favorite car. No bright colors, no fancy wheels, no operable doors (which were always my favorite), no cartoon character associations, not even a good flame paint job going for it. I've included a picture of the well-loved Grand National as well as a picture of Clark with the many other cars he could've picked as his favorite, but didn't...
















Clark is a big helper. He likes to set the table, he likes to help with "projects", and loves to help his little brother, but Clark generally has a hard time with transitions. Any time we are going anywhere from anywhere else, and it doesn't necessarily matter where we're going to or from; if he has to leave then it's a big problem. Even at the end of nursery class on Sunday, while most kids are wailing waiting for their parents to return Clark is also crying, but for another reason; he doesn't want to leave. So, today when it was time to leave playgroup I gave my 5 minute warning that we would be going soon. A smooth exit didn't look promising today. I was even picturing our phenomenal exit with Clark crying and screaming, limp as I dragged him towards the exit with Bruce in my arms, but when it was time to go I had an idea to try something new. I told Clark to "Go get Brucie. It's time to go." It was a bit of a risk, depending on how Clark decided to "get" Brucie, or if Brucie decided he was ready or not. But the stars aligned and there came Clark and Bruce, hand in hand, out the door, to the car. Small victories...













Bruce and Clark (respectively)
At my parent's house
Dec 2009

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I think Grand National kind of looks like the car I had in college. So cool!

    ReplyDelete